Xiaotian Chen's Curriculum Vitae
- MLS (Master of Library & Information
Accredited), The University of Oklahoma, 1997.
- MA of Political Science/International
Affairs, University of Central Oklahoma, with honors, 4.0/4.0 GPA, 1995.
- Diploma of Graduate Study, Applied
Linguistics (language acqusition & teaching), Nanjing University, 1992.
- BA of English, Nanjing University, 1986
Honors, Awards, and Professional Highlights
- Ranked #14 in "Top 20 Librarian Authors Worldwide" by the journal Scientometrics (April 2015, Volume 103, Issue 1, pp 301-327, posted online on Dec 24, 2014).
- Featured in the 1/25/2002 Chronicle of Higher Education story Once-Trustworthy Newspaper Databases Have Become Unreliable and Frustrating.
- Interviewed by Inside Higher Ed on President Obama's Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor's New York Times v. Tasini district court ruling. Inside Higher Ed article No Stranger to Higher Ed quoted my comments, in May 2009.
- Who's Who in America, 63rd-70th editions, by Marquis Who's Who, in
- Who's Who in the World, 27th, 29th-33rd editions, by Marquis Who's Who, in 2010, and 2012-2016.
- 2005 article published in Internet Reference Services Quarterly was selected as one of the best items in information technology literature around the world by the April 2005 issue of Current Cites (ISSN: 1060-2356). Only 8-12 publications from around the world are selected monthly.
- Beta Phi Mu International Library Science
Honor Society, 1998.
- Who's Who Among Students in
American Universities & Colleges, nominated by The University of Oklahoma, 1997.
- Outstanding Graduating Student, University of Central Oklahoma, 1995.
- 1/2002--- Bradley
University Library, Peoria, IL. Electronic Services Librarian, Associate Professor (June 2007---); Assistant Professor (Jan 2002---May 2007).
Also Affiliate Instructor of Chinese (Aug 2011--).
- 8/1997---12/2001. Truman State University Library, Kirksville,
MO. Reference Librarian (1997---1999); Reference and Electronic Resources
- 1997. Intern at Reference Dept, Dulaney-Browne Library,
Oklahoma City University.
- 1996---1997. Graduate Teaching Assistant,
School of Library & Information Studies,
The University of Oklahoma.
- 1996---1997. Circulation, Law Library, The University of Oklahoma.
- 1995. LeoLeo International (computer sales company), Richardson, TX.
- 1993---1995. Microlab, University of Central Oklahoma Library.
- 1986---1993. Instructor (1986---1992) and
Lecturer (1992---1993), China University of
Mining & Technology.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (Journals in boldface denote SCI/SSCI-indexed journals):
- Liu, X and Chen, X. (2018). Journal Retractions: Some Unique Features of Research Misconduct in China. To be published in Journal of Scholarly Publishing in April 2018. (Chen as the corresponding author)
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2016). A Middle-of-the-Road Proposal amid the Sci-Hub Controversy: Share “Unofficial” Copies of Articles without Embargo, Legally. Publications. 4(4). 29-33.
- Chen, X & Olijhoek, T. (2016). Measuring the Degrees of Openness of Scholarly Journals with the Open Access Spectrum (OAS) Evaluation Tool. Serials Review. 42(2), 108-115. (Chen as the corresponding author)
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2015). Questionable University-sponsored Supplements in High-impact Journals. Scientometrics. 105(3), 1985-1995. Abstract.
- Renaville, F., Branse, Y., Chen, X., & Needleman, M. (2015). SFX Miscellaneous Free E-journals Target: Usage Survey among the SFX Community. Serials Review. 41(2), 58-68. Abstract. (Chen as the corresponding author)
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2014). Open Access in 2013: Reaching the 50% Milestone. Serials Review. 40 (1), 21-27. Abstract. Selected by the July/August 2014 issue of The INFORMED LIBRARIAN ONLINE as one of the "Featured Articles."
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2013). Journal Articles Retrieval in an Age of Open Access. The Journal of Web Librarianship. 7 (3), 243-254. Abstract.
- Chen, X & O'Kelly, K. (2013). Taking Issues Column: Cross-Examining Google Scholar. Reference and User Services Quarterly. 52 (4), 279-282.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2012). Broken-Link Reports from SFX Users: How Publishers, Vendors and Libraries Can Do Better. Serials Review. 38 (4), 222–227. Abstract.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2012). Google Books Assessments: Comparing Google Books Content with WorldCat Content. Online Information Review. 36 (4), 507 - 516. Abstract.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2010). Google Scholar’s Dramatic Coverage Improvement Five Years after Debut. Serials Review. 36 (4), 221-226. Abstract. Promoted by the International Mathematical Union Nov 2010 Newsletter. Ranked as the #1 hottest article during the 4th quarter of 2010 and the 1st quarter of 2011 on the journal Web site on ScienceDirect.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2010). The Declining Value of Subscription-Based Abstracting and Indexing Services in the New Knowledge Dissemination Era. Serials Review. 36 (2), 79-85. Abstract. Selected by the June 2010 issue of The INFORMED LIBRARIAN ONLINE as one of the "EDITOR'S PICKS"/"Our Featured Articles."
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2010). Blog Archiving Issues: A Look at Blogs on Major Events and Popular Blogs. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 15 (1), 21-33. Abstract.
- Chen, X & Wynn, S. (2009). E-Journal Cataloging in an Age of Alternatives. Serials Librarian, 57 (1/2), 96-110. Abstract. (Chen as the corresponding author)
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2007). Web-Exclusive Articles in Traditionally Print Periodicals. Serials Review, 33(4), 224-230. Abstract. Cited in Library Journal's "Best Magazines of 2007" article.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2006). Overlap between Traditional Periodical Indexes and Newer Mega Indexes. Serials Review, 32 (4), 233-237. Abstract.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2006). MetaLib, WebFeat, and Google: The Strengths and Weaknesses of Federated Search Engines Compared with Google. Online Information Review, 30 (4), 413-427. Abstract.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2005). Figures and Tables Omitted from Online Periodical Articles: A Comparison of Vendors and Information Missing from Full-text Databases. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 10 (2), 75-88. Abstract. Selected as one of the best items in information technology literature around the world by the April 2005 issue of Current Cites.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2004). Assessment of Full-Text Sources Used by Serials Management Systems, OpenURL Link Resolvers, and Imported E-journal MARC Records. Online Information Review, 28 (6), 428-434. Abstract.
- Chen, X, Colgan, L, Greene, C, Lowe, E and Winke, C. (2004). E-resource Cataloging Practices: A Survey of Academic Libraries and Consortia. Serials Librarian, 47 (1/2), 153-179. Abstract.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2002). Embargo, Tasini, and Opted Out: How Many Periodical Articles are Missing from Full-Text Databases. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 7 (4), 23-34. Abstract. Selected into the bibliography for Summit on Serials in the Digital Environment, CONSER, the Library of Congress.
- Lu, Liang & Chen, Xiaotian. (1992). English Idioms and Phrases for College Students. (In Chinese, for English learners in China, ISBN: 7-81021-632-5). China University of Mining & Technology Press. Xuzhou, China.
- Chen, X. and Johnson, D. (2006). Collection and Use of Library In-House Usage Data with Voyager Reports in the I-Share/CARLI Environment. Presentation at The Illinois Association of College and Research Libraries 2006 Conference. The same presentation was also invited to present at CARLI IUG Reports Forum.
- Cataloging Electronic Resources/Electronic Resource Display in OPAC Task Force Final Report. (2004). See bottom of P.8 for the list of Task Force members.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2002). A Comparison of Two State Academic Library Consortia: Illinois' ILCSO and Missouri's MOBIUS, How They and Their Library Catalogs Work. Illinois Libraries. 84(4), 8-17.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2002). The Secrets of Full-text Databases: The Overlap Between a Same Vendor's Subject Database and General Database, and the Differences between Different Vendors in Embargo. Presentation at Brick and Click Libraries: Changes and Challenges. (peer reviewed), Proceedings included in ERIC database with ERIC number ED473134. Presentation in MS PowerPoint.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2001). The Competition between Free Internet Search Services and Library Resources. Presentation at Brick and Click Libraries: How Do We Support Both? (peer reviewed), Proceedings included in ERIC database with ERIC number ED462082.
- Contributing in A Dictionary of Current English Problem Words and Expressions edited by Xia, Xongdong & Wang, Mo. (In Chinese, for English learners in China, ISBN: 7-5343-2135-2). Jiangsu Education Press, Nanjing, China. 1994.
- 2011--. Editorial Board, Internet Reference Services Quarterly, a peer-reviewed journal by Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- 2014--. Editorial Board, Publications (ISSN 2304-6775), a peer-reviewed journal by MDPI and an ESCI indexed journal.
- 2014--. Editor, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
- 2014--. English translation editor, China Knowledge Resource Integrated Database (CNKI). (中国知网英文翻译质检专家).
- 2016--. Academic Editorial Board, CNKI Journal Translation Program (“中文精品学术期刊外文版数字出版工程”学术编委).
- 2013--. IGeLU/ELUNA Content Working Group (formerly SFX KnowledgeBase Advisory Board).
- 2016--. Commercial Products Committee, The Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI).
- 2013--2016. SFX System Committee, The Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI).
- 2006-2009. I-Share Users Group, The Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI).
- 2003-2004. Digital Library Products Committee, Illinois Library Computer System Organization (ILCSO). The committee investigated, evaluated, and selected 3 digital products for state-wide purchase: OpenURL link resolver, federated search engine, and digital collection management system.
- 2003. Cataloging Electronic Resources/Electronic Resource Display in OPAC Task Force, Illinois Library Computer System Organization (ILCSO).
- 1999-2001. Electronic Resources Advisory Committee, Missouri Bibliographic Information User System (MOBIUS).
For more info, search "Xiaotian Chen" or "Chen, Xiaotian" on Google.
Back to Xiaotian Chen's Home Page.